Tips for choosing a hat for your facial shape
Some women love hats and slip one on at every opportunity. Others steer clear, often saying they just don’t look good in a hat.
Maybe it’s because they haven’t found the perfect style for their facial shape.
Tilley Endurables, known for its iconic Tilley hat, a cotton topper created by Alex Tilley when he couldn’t find anything suitable for boating, has teamed with fashion illustrator Jocelyn Teng to show women how a fedora or any other hat can be the perfect personal statement.
Here are a few tips from Tilley hat designers:
1. There’s no such thing as hat police. The No. 1 rule of hats is that there are no rules, say the designers. Hats can make a bold statement, one that should reflect your personality, your individuality and most importantly, your confidence. A unisex hat like Tilley's Town + Country Fedora can be personalized with a feather, brooch, scarf or pin for a touch of femininity.
2. If you have a round face, keep balance in mind. It's important when selecting a style that flatters your facial shape. A round face -- one which width and length is similar with the widest point at the cheeks – is best balanced by a higher crown and medium brim. Check out Tilley’s Montana, a classic for men and women.
3. If you have a long face (or forehead), opt for a hat with a rounded or lower profile crown to balance. A long face gracefully tapers towards the chin. The Vintage Cloche hat brings both style and function with tuck away ear warmers, secret pocket and full lining.
4. If you have a heart-shaped face, use the brim of your hat to balance facial features. A heart-shaped face strongly tapers to the chin with the widest point being the temples. Tilley hat designers say it’s key for the brim to be wider than the chin and to look for good coverage of the forehead. The Floppy Brim Fedora can be worn tilted to one side for a mysterious, sultry look.
5. Lucky you if you have an oval face. This facial shape, with a wider forehead, tapering chin and prominent cheekbones, is ideal for any style of hat and any size of crown or brim. Choose a hat that reflects your mood and personality.