Fire on 26th floor of First National
The Oklahoma City Fire Department took this photo.
Photo by CloudDeck Media/Tom Kilpatrick
Firefighters quickly extinguished a fire on the 26th floor of First National Center shortly after noon today. The Oklahoma City Fire Department reported about 80 firefighters responded to the fire, noting high rise blazes require a lot of resources to prevent injuries and loss of property.
They apparently got the job done pretty quickly, with the owner reporting the fire was put out within about 10 to 15 minutes.
The 1931 Art Deco tower is empty and being redeveloped into upscale apartments, a hotel, restaurants and shops. As reported in The Oklahoman, interior demolition and asbestos removal is underway though it was unknown whether the fire was related to the ongoing work.
Owner and developer Gary Brooks reported no one was injured and damage is believed to be minimal.
"It was contained to just one piece of the floor," Brooks said. "The fire department had numerous calls and fortunately people were paying attention. Everything worked - the sand pipe did it's job. the building is empty so the water isn't on. And the fire department was able to hook up their hoses to pump water up to the top floors."
The building is secured and has on site security.
"During a $230 million remodel this can happen," Brooks said. "And everything worked. There are only two windows punched out."