Firefighters rescue workers from lift on Devon Tower in downtown Oklahoma City
Firefighters have rescued two workers who were trapped in the basket of a lift that malfunctioned and swung atop the Devon Tower Wednesday in downtown Oklahoma City.
both workers were apparently injured. Firefighters got the basket to the roof of the building about 8:30 a.m. One of the workers has a possible head injury, according to reports.
At 8:45 a.m., police were requested to evacuate the Myriad Gardens due to the incident, firefighters reported.
The lift was swinging and struck parts of the building, breaking glass. Two men stood upright, holding on to the sides of the lift as it moved back and forth.
An EMSA medical crew was requested to the top of the Devon roof where firefighters are working to lower the workers from the basket.
A caller reported the basket swinging out of control with workers in it about 7:50 a.m.
Firefighters said the "man-lift" was on top of the building with two window-washing workers in it. The equipment malfunctioned, firefighters reported.
A tweet from fire Battalion Chief Benny Fulkerson states: "Dangerous situation at Devon Tower. A large basket, believed to have window washers inside, is swinging wildly out of control at the top of the tower. This is a very dangerous situation. Please avoid the area. Firefighters are working to access this now. BF 8:02 am."
- Related to this story
- Article: OKC firefighters rescue window washers near top of Devon Tower
- Article: While damage to Oklahoma City's tallest building is assessed, the risk from falling debris means the area around the tower will be closed
- Article: Clean up of scattered glass downtown could take days
- Article: Streets remained closed as work continues at damaged Devon Tower
- Article: Work on Devon Tower halted due to weather
- Article: Streets around Devon Tower remain closed Monday with threat of severe weather ahead
- Article: Some areas around Devon Tower to reopen, streetcar service to resume
- Article: Sheridan Avenue in front of Devon Tower reopens
- Video: Firefighters rescue workers from lift on Devon Tower in downtown Oklahoma City
- Video: Devon Tower rescue
Traffic is affected in the 300 block of W Sheridan Avenue. Firefighters were located on the south side of the building, according to fire radio reports.
In September, 2016, a downtown construction worker fell from a scissor lift and was killed at the BOK Park Plaza tower in the 400 block of W Sheridan.
Check NewsOK.com for updates.