Oklahoma vs. UMBC softball: Time, TV channel, three things to know
No. 1 seed Oklahoma will begin its pursuit of a fifth national championship on Friday night in the Norman Regional. The Sooners will face the University of Maryland, Baltimore County to open the NCAA Tournament.
Here's how to watch, and three things to know about the matchup:
OKLAHOMA (49-2) VS. UMBC (30-22)
When: 8:30 p.m., Friday
- Related to this story
- Article: OU softball: How 2019 team compares to past Sooner national champions
- Article: College softball: Oklahoma building strong case for greatest Sooner team ever
- Article: UMBC embraces trip to 'Mecca of softball'
- Video: Writer's Block - OU Softball on 39 game winning steak
- Video: OU Softball: Sooners prep for playoffs
Where: Marita Hynes Field, Norman
TV: ESPN2 (Cox 28/HD 721, Dish 143, DirecTV 209, U-verse 606/HD 1606)
Three things to know
• Oklahoma is the No. 1 seed for the second time (2013) in school history. The Sooners have made the NCAA Tournament in each of coach Patty Gasso's 25 seasons. OU is 71-19 in regional play, and this year's team owns a record 39-game winning streak.
• UMBC, under first-year head coach Chris Kuhlmeyer, returns to the NCAA Tournament for the first time since 2002. The Retrievers bounced back from a 12-31 season in 2018 to win the America East conference tournament in 2019.
• UMBC freshman pitcher Courtney Coppersmith has thrown five no-hitters this season, including two in the America East tournament. The York, Pennsylvania native is 21-12 with a 1.62 ERA. Her 10.4 strikeouts per seven innings rank fourth nationally. Oklahoma junior Shannon Saile is second with 11.2 strikeouts per seven innings.
Norman Regional schedule
Game 1: Notre Dame vs. Wisconsin, 6 p.m.
Game 2: Oklahoma vs. UMBC, 8:30 p.m.
Game 3: Game 1 winner vs. Game 2 winner, 3 p.m.
Game 4: Game 1 loser vs. Game 2 loser, 5:30 p.m.
Game 5: Game 3 loser vs. Game 4 winner, 8 p.m.
Game 6: Game 3 winner vs. Game 5 winner, 1 p.m.
Game 7: If necessary, 3:30 p.m.