Streets around Devon Tower remain closed Monday with threat of severe weather ahead
Areas around the Devon Tower, damaged by a window-washing accident last week, remained closed Monday.
A window-washing equipment malfunction caused a basket to smash into windows with two workers inside it last week, resulting in glass falling to the streets below. The workers were not seriously injured. On Sunday, efforts to repair the building resulted in more glass falling into a safety area, according to a news release from Devon.
Devon continued to make progress Sunday with efforts to remove debris from the building, according to the release.
Areas around the building were closed Monday as the forecast called for severe weather and high winds, the National Weather Service reported.
"Our top priority continues to be the public’s safety in the downtown area, and we urge pedestrians, motorists and any air traffic around the tower to please obey the respective restrictions," the release states.
Sheridan and Robinson avenues and the Myriad Gardens remained closed Monday.
"Our team is keeping a close eye on approaching storms, but work is progressing and will continue as conditions permit," John Porretto, Devon spokesman, reported Monday. "Safety is our principal concern for those in the vicinity of the tower. Because of the potential for severe weather, the safety perimeter established last week remains in place.
"Updates will be issued as warranted; meanwhile, Devon continues to appreciate the public’s patience as work continues to remediate the building as quickly and as safely as possible," Porretto said.
- Related to this story
- Article: Firefighters rescue workers from lift on Devon Tower in downtown Oklahoma City
- Article: OKC firefighters rescue window washers near top of Devon Tower
- Article: While damage to Oklahoma City's tallest building is assessed, the risk from falling debris means the area around the tower will be closed
- Article: Clean up of scattered glass downtown could take days
- Article: Streets remained closed as work continues at damaged Devon Tower
- Article: Work on Devon Tower halted due to weather
- Article: Some areas around Devon Tower to reopen, streetcar service to resume
- Article: Sheridan Avenue in front of Devon Tower reopens
- Video: Firefighters recount Devon rescue
- Video: Devon Tower rescue
- Video: Firefighters rescue workers from lift on Devon Tower in downtown Oklahoma City
- Video: OKC firefighters rescue window washers near top of Devon Tower
- Video: Oklahoma City Fire Department releases 911 call from Devon incident
- Video: Clean up of scattered glass downtown could take days